Often dreamlike and enigmatic, Christine Brennan’s work features a host of symbolic and allegorical reference. Brennan’s images draw from the unconscious, leading the viewer into richly-lit narratives that evoke personal stories and associations.
As a painter and printmaker, Brennan works in oil on paper or board and hand-colored linoleum block prints. Never setting out to illustrate a specific theme or story, the artist creates each image as she goes, changing and shaping it along the way. That each untitled image may call forth different interpretations is a balance the artist strives for.
Recent Exhibitions & *Solo Shows:
- 2012-Present Brumfield LLC Gallery, Boise, ID. Owner: Jane Brumfield
- 2012-Present Nahcotta Gallery, Portsmouth, NH. Owner: Deb Thompson
- 2012-Present Art and Invention Gallery, Nashville, TN. Owner: Meg MacFadyen
- 2009-Present Santa Barbara Arts, Owner: Lynn Adams
- 2007 Figures & Forces, Jan Baum Gallery, Los Angeles, CA.
- 2006-2010 Hunter-Kirkland Contemporary, Santa Fe, NM. Owner: Nancy Hunter.
- 2006-2008 44T Artspace, Denver, CO.
- 2005 Birds of a Feather, with Ted Gall, HumanArts Gallery, Ojai, CA. Owners: Hallie & Stan Katz.
- 2004 Featured Artist: City of Ventura Artwalk.
- 2002-Present Iota, Dallas, TX. Owner: Dan Dean.
- 2002 *Recent Works by Christine Brennan, Utopia Design, Studio City, CA. Owner: Darren Frank.
- 2001 *The Imaginary World of Christine Brennan, Utopia Design, Studio City, CA. Owner: Darren Frank.
- 2000-2003 Every Picture Tells A Story, Santa Monica, CA. Owner: Lois Sarkisian.
- 1999 *Imaginary Friends, Carnagie Art Museum, Oxnard, CA. Curator: Susan Bellah.
- 1993-Present Ojai Studio Artists exhibiting member.
- 1991-2003 Running Ridge Gallery, Santa Fe, NM. Director: Carol Sorensen.
- HumanArts Gallery, Ojai, CA. Owners: Hallie & Stan Katz.
- 1988-2012 John Nichols Gallery, Santa Paula, CA. Owner: John Nichols.
- Featured Artist, Focus On The Masters, Ventura, CA.
- Directors Choice “Master in our Midst” Award, Carnagie Art Museum, Oxnard, CA.
- Best of Show, Ventura County Assembly of the Arts, Ventura, CA.
- City of Ventura, CA Municipal Art Collection, City Hall, Ventura, CA.
- Carnagie Art Museum, Oxnard, CA.
- Drew Barrymore, Los Angeles, CA.
- Jonathan Winters, Santa Barbara, CA.
- Sir Anthony Hopkins, Malibu, CA.
- Pat Richardson (of TV’s Home Improvement), Los Angeles, CA.
- Ventura County Museum of Art and History, Ventura, CA.
- Bank of A. Levy Collection, Ventura, CA.
- Work Purchased for the Film “When a Man Loves a Woman”, 1994.
Reviews & Publications
- “Christine Brennan Paintings”, Pueblo Street Press, 2008.
- Stephanie Kinnear, “Art House”, Ventana Monthly, October 2006.
- Nicole D’Amore, “Symbolic Still Lifes Meant to Elicit Personal Response,” Ventura County Star, March 18, 2005.
- Psychological Perspectives: a Journal of Jungian Thought, winter 98/99.
- 1987 Bachelor of Fine Arts, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI.